Notifications
Clear all

Beginners

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Sdmago1960)
Topic starter  

My husband and I just bought a gun and want to learn how to shoot it. I am sure you are thinking “you pull the trigger, duh”  We have taken the safety test and stuff but could really benefit from having someone show us how the gun works and, cleaning , bullets etc.  is there a class or is there someone that could walk us thru the stuff we need to know about it before we just show up to the shooting range without the knowledge needed?

ReplyQuote
(@drgc_11823)

Great question.  I will make my response generic.

First, there are many ranges such as Richmond, Sacramento, Livermore, Yolo, San Leandro, Sunnyvale, Los Altos, and many indoor places such  as:  Guns and Fishing etc.  I recommend reviewing all those sites to get familiar.  Then, I would look at Cal Guns and search training. 

Second, there are 5 clubs that are USI.  You can join a club.  You shoot for $12 at the public range as a member of a club.  Clubs are listed on the USI website.  You are welcome at Diablo.  

Third, you did not mention which activity?  There are many ranges:  the public, the trap, skeet, 5 stand, archery, action pistol, the MRP (multi purpose currently 22's), impalement etc.

Fourth,  I recommend starting w/ a 22 rifle.  Then, you can move up to a 22 pistol. Then a 9mm or .38?    Indoor ranges rent guns.  

Fifth,  do you have friends, family etc who might take you to the range for the first time?

Sixth, Diablo has "Women on Target" training but we are down currently w/ the covid (as of Feb '21).  Also, youth training called Musketeers.

Seventh, it should not be so hard.  I am going to learn more so I can be more helpful.  Keep posting to this forum to let others know what to do.

ReplyQuote
(@Sdmago1960)
Topic starter  

@drgc_11823 thank you so much for your quick and thorough response.  I will look into the woman’s club once we get out of this pandemic.  I will also do some research at Cal Guns for some training right away. That is a good place to start. Thank you again.

ReplyQuote
Share: